Specialist, Electromechanics / SPCL EN ELECTROMECANIQUE
Employer: Canada Post / Postes Canada
Closing Date: 13/12/2021
The Electromechanical Specialist is primarily responsible for providing preventive and corrective maintenance of electromechanical aspects of all types of postal equipment to ensure its good working order and continued operation. This includes all phases of maintenance: troubleshooting, testing, repair and monitoring of electromechanical aspects of mail processing and handling equipment. Is also responsible for maintenance of associated electrical and electronic portions of systems.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Specialist, Electromechanics.
1. Performs the preventive and corrective maintenance of electromechanical and associated electronic aspects of all types of postal equipment work to ensure the safe and correct operation of the equipment: this includes testing, diagnosis, maintenance, cleaning, lubrication, adjustment and revision work, rebuilding or modifying parts as necessary. Reads schematics, drawings, wiring diagrams and specifications in locating and correcting potential or existing malfunctions and failures. Job requires a thorough knowledge of mail processing and associated equipment, maintenance and technologies and the ability to work in a physically demanding environment, including working at heights.
2. Recommends changes in preventive maintenance procedures and practices to provide the proper level of maintenance; assists in the revision of preventive maintenance checklists and the frequency of performing preventive maintenance tasks. In instances of serious equipment failures, conducts investigations to determine the cause of the breakdown and to recommend remedial action to prevent recurrence.
3. Initiates work orders requesting corrective actions for below standard conditions; assists in the estimating of time and materials required, and measures and/or lays out work for major or difficult jobs to efficiently utilize labour and materials.
4. Observes established safety practices and requirements pertaining to the type of work involved; recommends additional safety measures as required. Advises Operations personnel on safe and effective operating procedures for the equipment/systems in use.
5. Maintains documentation relative to the work performed using the Computerized Maintenance Management system. Reports the circumstances surrounding equipment failures, and recommends measures for their correction. Updates work orders with comments, findings, and actions taken for work performed.
6. Uses necessary hand and power tools, and mechanical, electrical and electronic gauging devices, instruments, test equipment and predictive technologies if required. Duties also require the use of motorized lifting equipment, specialized equipment for work at heights or other types of tools or equipment to perform preventive or corrective work activities.
7. In the absence of the storeperson, retrieves and obtains items used in support of maintenance and repair duties from stores.
8. Participates in training programs in the classroom, on-the-job on or off site as required.
9. Performs other job related tasks in support of primary duties.
- Completion (at minimum) of a 2 year post-secondary program in either a mechanical or electro-mechanical field (these trades/programs could include industrial mechanic, millwright, mechanical technician/technologist). DEC in Quebec.
- Two years of experience (within the last five years) in the maintenance and repair of a variety of mechanical or electro-mechanical systems and equipment, or a diploma per educational requirements above funded by Canada Post in the last five years.
Other Candidate Requirements
- As per the language requirements for the position.
- Testing, diagnosis and adjusting of mechanical or electro-mechanical systems and equipment.
- Understanding of mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems and principals.
- Basic understanding of electronics and electrical systems and principles.
- Must be able to exercise physical effort in lifting heavy equipment and tools and perform maintenance routines under a variety of conditions including cramped spaces, heights and other awkward positions.
Skills & Abilities:
- Operate a computer and use programs such as Windows and MS Office.
- Recommend changes in prevention maintenance procedures and practices.
- Conduct investigations to determine cause of breakdowns and recommend remedial action to prevent recurrences.
- Initiate work orders requesting corrective actions.
- Reports on circumstances surrounding equipment failures, and recommends measures for corrective actions.
- Educate other personnel on safe and effective operating procedures for the equipment/systems in use.
|Competency||Competency Definition||Proficieny Level||Description|
|Concern for Safety||Identifying hazardous or potentially hazardous situations and taking appropriate action to maintain a safe environment for self and others.||2||Makes recommendations to optimize a safe and healthy environment.|
|Adaptability||Adapting in order to work effectively in ambiguous or changing situations, and with diverse individuals and groups.||1||Recognizes the needs to adapt.|
|Planning||Developing, implementing, evaluating and adjusting plans to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources.||1||Plans and organizes own activities.|
|Problem Analysis||Identifying problems and the solutions to them.||2||Solves basic problems.|
|Resilience||Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.||1||Works effectively in standard situations.|
|Information Gathering||Locating and collecting data from appropriate sources and analyzing it to prepare meaningful and concise reports that summarize the information.||1||Follows prescribed information gathering procedures.|
|Oral Communications||Listens to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication.||1||Listens and clearly presents information.|
|Work Values & Ethics||Demonstrating and supporting the organization’s ethics and values.||1||Demonstrates organization’s ethics and values.|
|Commitment to Excellence||Focuses efforts on achieving high quality results consistent with the organization’s standards.||1||Meets pre-determined standards.|
|Teamwork||Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals.||1||Collaborates with others.|
|Customer Orientation||Providing service excellence to internal and/or external clients.||1||Responds to immediate client needs.|
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post will represent Canada’s diversity and provide a safe and welcoming workplace that embraces and celebrates our differences.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
Canada Post is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you have any restrictions that need to be accommodated. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We value diversity as an essential part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future. We believe that attracting, developing, and retaining people who reflect the diversity of Canada is essential to our success because this matters to all communities and customers we serve.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.